The Eugenics Record Office at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (1910-1939)
AuthorLawrence, Cera R.
MetadataShow full item record
From its founding in 1910 until it closed its doors in 1939, the Eugenics Record Office (ERO) at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in New York was the center of the American Eugenics Movement. Charles Davenport, a geneticist and biologist, founded the ERO, and served as its director until 1934. Under the direction of Davenport and his associate, superintendant Harry H. Laughlin, the influence of the ERO on science and public policy waxed during the early twentieth century until after World War II. The ERO is important to the history of embryology because of the key role it played in the application of scientific theories about heredity to the formulation of reproductive social policies.